DNS time-outs are usually 10 seconds.
14-10 = 4, which is normal.
I would  check if your DNS tests run smoothly and do not time out somewhere.

-Sietse

From: Justin Mason
Sent: Thu 28-Sep-06 17:00
To: John D. Hardin
Cc: Deephay; Olivier Nicole; users@spamassassin.apache.org
Subject: Re: really slow spamd scan

"John D. Hardin" writes:

>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Problem is not that it is slow.
>> >
>> > That SA takes 14 seconds to deliver a message is not an issue, email
>> > is not a real time process anyway and transiting email from one
>> > gateway to another can take minutes or hours.
>>
>> The scantime=14.7 does not mean the scan time of spamassassin?
>
>It does. 14.7 seconds to scan the message.
>
>> > Problem would be is SA would make high CPU load on your server.
>> >
>> > 14 seconds may be just the delay for the various network tests to
>> > respond.
>>
>> You mean the test form SA?
>
>Yes. The various DNS and URI blocklist lookups and Razor/Pyzor/DCC all
>take time to complete.
>
>A system snapshot (load average, running processes, memory consumption
>including swap) taken during processing of a message would help us
>determine whether there *is* a problem. If fifteen seconds is the high
>end of what you are seeing, you do not have a problem.
>
>> I have googled for this kind of situations and I found I am the
>> slowest. If I stop the spamd, the delivery will be much faster.
>
>If you are worried about a fifteen second delay in delivery of email
>you need to tune your users' expectations, *NOT* SpamAssassin.
>
>I've said it before and I'll say it again: Email is a best-effort,
>non-guaranteed store-and-forward messaging system. It is not Instant
>Messaging. It is not a general-purpose file transfer utility. Delays
>will happen.

In fairness, though, I would agree that 14 seconds is pretty
long for most cases.  On my pretty old 1.5ghz server, I get
this kind of distribution:

number  seconds
    401 0 - 1
    280 1 - 2
    185 2 - 3
    110 3 - 4
     46 4 - 5
     36 5 - 6
     34 6 - 7
     15 7 - 8
     13 8 - 9
     17 9 - 10
      4 10 - 11
      9 11 - 12
      8 12 - 13
      4 13 - 14
      4 14 - 15
     20 15 seconds or more

IOW, a large majority complete in under 4 seconds.  See the wiki
for speed-up tips.

--j.