R Lists06 wrote:
> > I am sorry if I am asking this question and it is answered in the
> > archives.  I will try to go back and read those past posts but is
> > there a site where I can download the SARE stock rules and the
> > plugins?  I am aware of Rules Du Jour but whenever I have attempted
> > to download rules from there I have serious problems with memory on
> > my system that causes delivery problems with my email.  Can I just
> > go to a website and click on the stock rules SARE and copy the .cf
> > file to my server?  Can I do the same for downloading the plugins
> > you mention?
> >
> snip
> >
> > I have wondered about doing this.  I have read several posts about
> > the concerns about stopping legitimate emails.  We are a small
> > state office that for the most part does not have a great deal of
> > unsolicited email come through that is not spam.  Are there any
> > issues I should think about before I were to lower the threshold?
> >
> > I appreciate the advice.
> >
> > Steve
>
> www.rulesemporium.com

If you are having problems with memory after downloading the rules,
you just need to be careful that you use the right ones.  Read the
descriptions of the rules carefully and only use the ones that you
think would be useful.  Any time you add more rules, the spamd
children will take up more memory, but it shouldn't be too bad.  And
if you do run into problems, you can always lower the max number of
children in your spamd startup command to give the children more room.

I posted this list a day or two ago, but the most useful SARE rules on
my system are:

70_sare_stocks.cf
70_sare_adult.cf
70_sare_specific.cf

Besides the SARE rules, you should also consider URIBL, Razor, and
FuzzyOCR.

--
Bowie