>> Jo wrote:

>> > I don't buy the hypothesis that if another OS would be more popular it
>> > would automatically be such a sieve like Windows. A system can be
>> > intrinsically more secure due to the choices that were made during its
>> > development.
>> >
>> > Suing MS, I would say: Go for it! By all means. Maybe they can also
>> > die the death of a thousand cuts.
>> >
>> > Jo
>>
>> Popularity is a factor. But the real vulnerability is that Windows can
>> be more secure if it has the patches. If Linux for example restricted
>> it's seurity patches to only licensed users they would have the same
>> problem. I'm not saying either that MS should be compelled to distribute
>> any upgrades for free. Just secutiry fixes.

Hi,

I believe that some users of illegal copies avoid to download security fixes
because
- they fear that some info about them might be sent to MS
- it is not always clear what an update really does.

I have no idea whether the first one is true, but I can say for sure that the
ONLY update
that windows suggested to install by itself on a specific pc was WGA .... but
nothing security related.
This does not necessarily improve confidence in the security update mechanism

Side note: some of the "pirated" windows copies only seem to exist due to
problems with
the system, or strange licensing conditions. If I can trust some recent
statistics, the vast
majority of systems is sold with windows already installed, and should not be
candidates
for pirating at all. If these systems are set up such that the average user
cannot reinstall
after a crash or hardware change, users might prefer to reinstall from a
non-restricted version
and probably use a pirated one. After all, why should they pay twice for the
same OS on the
same computer
Perhaps this aspect of the computer business should be questioned in court

Wolfgang Hamann