>> I received a spam today where the text was only a base64-encoded blob.

>> Subject: feel young and strong again
>>
>> PGh0bWw+DQpTdG9wIG92ZXJwYXlpbmcgZm9yIHlvdXIgcHJlc2NyaXB0aW9uIG1lZGljYXRpb25z
>> IHRvZGF5Lg0KPGJyPg0KPGJyPg0KU2F2ZSBtb3JlIHRoYW4gc2l4dHkgcGVyY2VudCBvbiBicmFu
>> ZCBuYW1lIGdlbmVyaWMgbWVkcyB0aGF0IGFyZSBjaGVtaWNhbGx5IGlkZW50aWNhbC4NCjxicj4N
>>
>> Does SA convert the blob into text before scanning?  It contains a number
>> of drug-related words and a URI that points to "pharmconnect.org".
>>
>> Also is there an SA rule that scores messages that contain only a single
>> base64 part (as opposed to a base64-encoded attachment)?  I doubt many
>> legitimate messages arrive with only a single base64 part.
>>
>> Peter

Hi Peter,

if the message is in a language requiting 8bit characters, a single base64 part
seems to be
a reasonable option to send a plaintext message.
On the other hand, I am not aware of a mail client that uses this format, so I
would suspect
that any such mail comes from an automated system (I think I have seen order
confirmations
in that format)
Probably a message in base64 that does not contain any single 8bit code should
be
considered as an attempt to hide the message from scanners

Wolfgang Hamann