Jeff,

> Not to start any flamewars, but does anyone have strong opinions
> on MailScanner versus Amavisd-new for use with postfix (and of
> course SpamAssassin and ClamAV)?

Of course I'm biased, but I'd be worried running program with
about 400 cases of calling system routines (I/O, file system, etc.)
without checking resulting status or failing to report errors.
MailScanner works while everything is in order. When unexpected
happens (e.g. disk full, I/O or file system errors, depleted system
resources), then unpredictable things are bound to result, and
possibly go by unnoticed for some time or prove difficult to diagnose.

  Mark