Stuart Johnston wrote:
John Rudd wrote:

2) This sort of replaces the other set of rules I created, that did this with metarules instead of a plugin. This made some of the checks less useful. You probably don't need to use both methods.

So, what is the point of doing this as a plugin instead of using existing rules? The obvious disadvantage is the additional dns lookups.

The advantages are:

a) being sure that the hostname in RDNS points back to the IP address you started with. Thus detecting forgeries (which shouldn't happen with _any_ legitimate service)

b) just using the rules version of what I wrote, you can only check if the decimal IP address, in individual segments, is in the hostname. You can't check if the entire decimal IP address (one large number) is in the IP address, nor can you check if the hexidecimal segments are in the hostname.

(a) requires more DNS work, yes. (b) does not. It just requires a bit more math.