On 31-Oct-06, at 12:01 PM, Chris Szilagyi wrote:

I have SpamAssassin 3.1.7 (using spamc/spamd) installed on a Red Hat 7.1 system, with Perl 5.6.1. We currently have SQL user prefs enabled in a MySQL db, and put the entries in /etc/procmailrc to enable system-wide scanning.

My question is: Are there any settings for SpamAssassin that users would set in their prefs, that would bypass scanning of their email? My reason for asking is that if we have users that do not want any scanning, we'd like to free up the load on the server so it's no scanning messages and scoring them for no reason. Right now we're using the "sasql" plugin for Squirrelmail as the front-end for the user settings, and one of the settings is to set the level to "'99' => _("Don't Filter")". But I'm just trying to figure out if this will force SpamAssassin (spamd) to just pass the message through without
examining the content, to lighten up the load on the server.

Does anybody know which setting (if any) will accomplish this? Thank you very
much for the feedback.

We've used Amavisd-new to make this happen - basically, what happens is this:

1. Mail comes into Postfix.
2. Postfix hands it off to Amavisd-new
3. Amavisd-new checks for viruses using clamav and discards if it finds one (can be overridden by the end user if they want). 4. Amavisd-new checks the DB to see if this user has turned on spam filtering - if they haven't it just passes it through.

Works great here - we only enable spam filtering if it's been asked for - otherwise it can be a little too big of a hassle for support sometimes.
--
darron froese
principal