On 1 Nov 2006, Andreas Pettersson stated:

> Steven Dickenson wrote:
>> I can't agree with this.  Many small businesses in the US get just  these
>> kind of static connections from broadband ISPs.
>> Comcast, for  example, has all of their static customers using rDNS that
>> would fail  your tests, and they refuse to set up a
>> custom PTR record or delegate  the record to someone else.
>
> I disagree on your disagreement. This is my opinion: If you don't have
> control over your rDNS, do NOT run any mail server, unless
> you relay all outbound mail through a server at your ISP.

What if you don't *have* a server at your ISP that you can relay your
mail through, because your ISP expects you to send mail directly from
your own mailserver?

What if your ISP provides a server but it is horrifically unreliable?

>> Most of these static customers are legitimate business networks
>> running their own mail server, and have neither the need nor desire
>> to relay their mail through Comcast's SMTP servers.  I think your
>> general idea is very good, but you're reaching a little too far with
>> this one.
>
> 'No need nor desire', that's not really any good excuse. Use a relay
> or find your mail rejected, I'd say.

Charming. They're not spammers, but you want to punish them as if they
were, because reality makes your tests too complicated.

--
`When we are born we have plenty of Hydrogen but as we age our
 Hydrogen pool becomes depleted.'