Am 09.11.2006 um 20:35 schrieb Daryl C. W. O'Shea:

Charlie Clark wrote:
Am 09.11.2006 um 19:27 schrieb Daryl C. W. O'Shea:

If your one and only child is busy doing an expire it can't scan messages too.
ah, so I could increase the number of children running to do this?

You could, running at least 2 children if you've got the resources to do it isn't a bad idea), but it sounds like you've either got a lot of individual bayes databases to expire or the expiry of one or more of the databases is never being allowed to complete.

I think I have the resources for more children. It's not a lot of mail going through the system but I think the network connection often seems to have problems.

You're best off disabling auto expire and doing it manually.

I ran it manually and it only took a couple of seconds so I think that now that the performance issue has gone, this will hopefully eventually go away.

Disable bayes_auto_expire in your local.cf and run an expire manually (and then set it up as a cron job) by running sa-learn -- force-expire as the user that SA normally runs as (if SA runs as more than one user, run it for all the users it runs as). It's probably going to take a considerable amount of time for it to run... let it finish, it will eventually.
bayes_auto-expire isn't actually in my local.cf so I've added it as
bayes_auto-expire     0

Yeah, it's on by default, that's how you disable it.

It also strikes me that I can probably enable trusting the localhost on this machine - does this mean that spamassassin will not bother checking e-mail sent via the local SMTP?

That's not at all what it means. If you need help configuring your that search the archives or start another thread.

Got it sussed now all I need to do is tell Exim to unfreeze it's queue...

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Helmholtzstr. 20