On Thu, 9 Nov 2006, Pascal Maes wrote:

> hello,
>
> Sometimes, I get the following errors :
>

> [2006-11-09 17:42:54] Unexpected error in pipe to external programs.
>                        Please check that all helper programs are
> installed and in the correct path.
>                        (Pipe Command "/usr/bin/giftopnm -", Pipe exit
> code 139 (""), Temporary file: "/tmp/.spamassassin26294pcU3T3tmp")
>
> [2006-11-09 18:03:27] Unexpected error in pipe to external programs.
>                        Please check that all helper programs are
> installed and in the correct path.
>                        (Pipe Command "/usr/bin/jpegtopnm", Pipe exit
> code 1 (""), Temporary file: "/tmp/.spamassassin29011mEsVvatmp")
>

> Of course, giftopnm and jpegtopnm are installed in /usr/bin/ and are
> working : all the examples provided whith FuzzyOcr "passed".
>
> Any idea of the error ?

Yes, that means that an attempt to execute "/usr/bin/jpegtopnm" failed
OR it ran and terminated with a non-zero exit code. So for example, if
a spam contains a corrupt image jpegtopnm will exit with a failure status
when it attempts to do the conversion and throw that kind of error.

I saw the exact same errors in my FuzzyOcr logs, so created a shell-script
wrapper for jpegtopnm which captured its 'stderr' and found:

  jpegtopnm.exe: End-of-file encountered in the middle of JPEG image.

that correltated to those errors. So borked spam-rat-ware.

Hmm, spammers rat-ware having bugs in it, who'd a thought it. ;)

Dave

#include <std_disclaimer.h>