From: "Tom H" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi,

I was getting hit by a great deal of spam that only hits the BAYES_99
rule, and maybe gets less than a point or so from elsewhere.
But now I'm getting ones through that are basically only hitting the
BAYES_99 and nothing else;

I tried to send the mail to this list to demonstrate the content but got bounced with 12.9 spam score.

I'm running sa-update weekly, and rules_de_jour daily with a big set of rules, and I'm still not hitting loads of obvious spam. Particularly those with the title "Re:" + "good" and then a number appended to the end.

The only thing I can think of at the moment is to reduce my requried_hits to 3.5 or increase the score for BAYES_99 to 5, but I would prefer not to do the latter as I like a default and automatically updated installation.

I would be grateful for any ideas on this...

Tom, my answer is a cheat. Simply raise Bayes 99 score until you start
seeing false positives from it. Then reduce the score a little. It appears
that either Bayes 99 is pessimistic of its likelihood of being spam or
else one of my few negative scores has saved me from the expected potload
of mismarked ham. I run at 5.0001. (The .0001 is just to be obnoxious
about it.)

{^_^}