Giampaolo,

> > These commands will only exit after they have completed their job,
> > i.e. waiting for the existing daemon to have stopped.

> ...So, I don't have a Linux distribution running on my servers?
> May you suggest to me the kind of OS brand I'm running?

Not sure what you are asking here. If you are asking for a recommendation
on OS of choice, this is a highly individual matter, often religious.
Use whatever you are comfortable with, and is being actively maintained.
We run almost entire servers fleet on FreeBSD, and happy with the choice.

> > Fiddling directly with pid file, kill, sleep, etc., is unwise,
> > and most likely much less careful compared to how amavisd does it.
>
> Hopefully, amavisd doesn't shuts or starts by itself.

No it doesn't. Also I never heard of a case where a master amavisd process
would vanish. For a quick overview on a general amavisd-new system health
I recommend running amavisd-nanny utility for a few seconds or minutes
every now an then, e.g. once a day or when there is suspicion that
things are busier or slower then expected.

  Mark