RFC 1123 (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1123.txt)

         5.3.1.1 Sending Strategy

            The general model of a sender-SMTP is one or more processes
            that periodically attempt to transmit outgoing mail.  In a
            typical system, the program that composes a message has some
            method for requesting immediate attention for a new piece of
            outgoing mail, while mail that cannot be transmitted
            immediately MUST be queued and periodically retried by the
            sender.  A mail queue entry will include not only the
            message itself but also the envelope information.

            The sender MUST delay retrying a particular destination
            after one attempt has failed.  In general, the retry
            interval SHOULD be at least 30 minutes; however, more
            sophisticated and variable strategies will be beneficial
            when the sender-SMTP can determine the reason for non-
            delivery.

            Retries continue until the message is transmitted or the
            sender gives up; the give-up time generally needs to be at
            least 4-5 days.  The parameters to the retry algorithm MUST
            be configurable.

Cheers,

Phil
--