First thing: find the patch for the URIBL rules and get that enabled. It will probably catch 90% of the spam making it through.

It would probably be possible to build an eval test for 2.63 that would do what FuzzyOCR does, but it woudl take some work by someone that knows perl (which isn't me).

       Loren

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Jackson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <users@spamassassin.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, December 01, 2006 8:55 AM
Subject: Help for old-school SA?

I work for a large hosting provider. Some of our hosting accounts are (effectively) stuck using SA 2.63, since they are using older Redhat installs coupled with older versions of the Plesk control panel. (Why stuck? Because Plesk and ES2.1 won't recognize post-2 versions, provide proper startup options, or write out the proper header-munging rules.) Needless to say, SA 2.63 isn't very effective anymore. I will often set up SARE rulesets and RulesDuJour, install & configure Razor, lower the Bayes autolearn thresholds and minimum message counts, make sure Net::DNS and Mail::SPF::Query are installed, and use RBLs within Qmail. It's not all that effective, or at least not as effective as they want.

So, what other tools can I add to my arsenal under these circumstances?