Steven W. Orr wrote:
> I have some spam getting through that has USER_IN_WHITELIST. I go and
> look and sher nuff, the From address is there in the email column of
> the awl table.
USER_IN_WHITELIST has NOTHING to do with the AWL.

This is strictly a whitelist_from, whitelist_from_rcvd or
whitelist_from_spf thing.

Be sure to check *all* header that SA considers to be From: equivalents,
including Return-Path.

> I don't know how it got there but it's there. Can someone please
> 'splain to me how this works?
>
> * My understanding is that a positive value in the awl table in the
>   totscore column is a blacklist entry. A negative value is a
>   whitelist entry. Am I correct?
No. That's the total score. The AWL is a score-averager, not a black or
whitelist.

AWL score = (totalscore/count)-(current message score before AWL) * (awl
factor, default 0.5).

> * What is the purpose of the count column. Is it used as a parameter
>   in the calculation with the totscore value?
Yes. See above
> * Is there a command line interface to change something from a
>   whitelist value to a blacklist value?
no, because it's not a black or whitelist. In theory
--add-addr-to-whitelist and --add-addr-to-blacklist can be used to bias
these numbers, but last time I tried it didn't work properly for
existing entries.

> * If an address is added to the table for a user, can I make that
>   address be made somehow 'global' so that it weighs against email to
>   any user?
Not unless you use a global AWL.
> * Is all mail that comes in, both ham and spam, using From addresses
>   to add to the awl table?
Yes.
> * (Last question). All spam that comes in is run through
>   sa-learn --spam
>   Is there something else I should do to better manage the awl?
sa-learn --spam has no affect on the AWL. That affects the BAYES system.