From: Chris Lear
Sent: Thu 07-Dec-06 15:06
To: users@spamassassin.apache.org
Subject: Re: SV: Help with understanding a rule

* [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote (07/12/06 12:03):
The list managers are the first ones who have to change.

Yes, you are probably right. But: there must be a reason why the
rule no_real_name exists? And if there is a rule (written or not)
that From: headers should contain a real name, I want to follow it.

And to follow it I need to convince my IT staff somehow...

So, what is the reason behind no_real_name?

Most MUAs, most of the time, put a real name into mail they send. It's standard setup. So not having a real name is, perhaps, a spam sign This isn't the same as contravening RFCs. Remember that there's a rule called HTML_MESSAGE as well, which might be a spam sign. Both of these are bound to hit ham a lot of the time, so scoring them high would be, at best, an unusual decision. Scoring them high enough to reject would be very unusual.

As it happens, on a server I manage NO_REAL_NAME hits 5% of spam, and 25% of ham (much of which is not MUA-originated). So it's not a rule I'd like to reject on.

But if a mailing list or a user has a "you must provide a real name" policy, spamassassin's flexible enough to be able to enforce it.

Chris