On Fri, 8 Dec 2006, Jean-Paul Natola wrote:

> > Is there a way to discard the message? since he  is one our employees,  the
> > bounce message generated by exim  will go back to him (our server) - so he
> > (the sending user ) will wind up with the bounce message every hour wouldnt
> > he?-
>
> >That's outside the scope of SA, take a look at your MTA. It is
> >considered very bad practice to generate a bounce message for spam.
> >Are you talking about a reject during the SMTP conversation?
>
> Yes, I believe that's what I'm referring to- the one that says
>
> "Congratulations your message has scored x.x points blah blah blah,"-

That's still not enough to tell.

A "reject" occurs during the conversation between the MTAs, and will
usually result in the *sending* MTA generating a notice along the
lines of:

 We could not deliver your message to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 Log of conversation:
  >> RCPT TO: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  << OK
  >> DATA
  << 5.0.0 Message looks like spam.

A "bounce" occurs after the receiving MTA has accepted the message for
delivery, and is a new email message from the *receiving* MTA that
looks like "Your message was not delivered because ..."

Generally, bouncing (the receiver generating a response email) is NOT
a good idea when processing spam. This leads to "Joe Jobs".

Rejecting is acceptable, because the sending shouldn't be an open
relay and thus should only notify legitimate senders about
non-delivery.

 [EMAIL PROTECTED]    FALaholic #11174     pgpk -a [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  ...to announce there must be no criticism of the President or to
  stand by the President right or wrong is not only unpatriotic and
  servile, but is morally treasonous to the American public.
                                          -- Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
 7 days until Bill of Rights day