> > On Wednesday 13 December 2006 11:35 am, Bret Miller wrote:
> > > Has anyone here tried MSRBL (http://www.msrbl.com/site/)?
> I'm running it
> > > in trial now, but thought I'd ask to see if anyone here
> had an opinion
> > > before doing anything serious with it.
> > >
> > > TIA,
> > > Bret
> >
> > Bret, on my home system I use the MSRBL-Images.hdb and
> MSRBL-Spam.ndb in
> > conjunction with Clamav. I have some stats if you're interested.
> >

> I'd like to see some stats, please.
> I'd also like to hear some opinions on FP numbers, effectiveness etc.

I installed the MSRBL ClamAV signatures yesterday for a trial run, not
actually doing anything with the results. It hit less spam than I hoped
and had a few FPs. The FPs were all advertising e-mail, but very clearly
from my standpoint were opt-in lists that were very easy to opt-out of,
and could have been valuable to someone. My guess here is that MSRBL
works a lot like SpamCop.net and relies on user submission to determine
what is and isn't spam. That approach can't be relied upon for mail
rejection. I didn't see anything that it hit on that SA wasn't already
catching, so I'm really not convinced it's worth the effort to do.

Bret