Justin Mason wrote:
Daryl C. W. O'Shea writes:
If you're referring to jm's post, I think he just made those rules up as they're not what we're publishing for 3.1.

It's the rules from SVN trunk.

Ah.

-lastexternal is exactly what they're asking for. In the case where the client connects directly to their MSA which then connects directly to your MX, -lastexternal is functionally equivalent to -notfirsthop.

-lastexternal is almost definitely what you want to use for any dynamic client sort of list as it allows for people running their own MSA that has a dynamic-listed IP which then forwards to a smarthost which in turn connects to your MX. -notfirsthop would FP for this setup.

hmm. I'd better fix trunk then ;)

Yeah, -notfirsthop is good for lists that list known zombies, open relays, and crap like that. Generic dynamic lists are better off as -lastexternal to avoid FPs (I know of lots of businesses that are forced to smarthost their mail through Bell's MSAs due to SORBS listings of static connections because of Bell's crappy rDNS naming scheme).

Daryl