On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 17:08:44 -0800
John Rudd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thomas Bolioli wrote:
> >
> > Yeah, this is the problem with the Botnet ruleset. I had to stop
> > using it. It assumes that one IP, one domain with regards to
> > mail. If your mail server handles multiple domains, whichever
> > domain the rDNS points to will be fine. Any others will fire off.
>
> That's not even close to true (the assumptions nor the results).
>
> If rDNS and DNS are properly set up for the machine, then it wont
> matter what virtual domains are hosted on the system.  As long as
> the rDNS leads back to a valid DNS record, which leads back to the
> same IP, it wont matter if that rDNS machines that mail domain, a
> different mail domain, or no mail domain at all.

Hmm - in my case my rDNS setup seems ok though except for the fact
that 2 octets are in my ptr record which I'll be fixing tonight.  But
that's not the rule I was tripping.  Here's another example from a
test email sent from one of my virtual domains netbits.us:

 5.0 BOTNET                 Relay might be a spambot or virusbot
 [botnet0.7,ip=209.18.107.89,hostname=netbits.us,maildomain=netbits.us,baddns]

<snip>

> If you think there is a case where Botnet breaks down for
> multiple/virtual mail domains, where DNS and rDNS are properly set
> up, put your money where your mouth is and give a real world
> example.  Give the IP address(es), and the mail domains that go
> with them that you think will have a problem.

Personally, I like Botnet, but it does seem like I have a real world
example where my rDNS is setup fine.  Unless I missed something?

Thx,

Josh