snowcrash+spamassassin wrote:
The man page is pretty straightforward IMO.

sigh.

ok.

as it's clear to one of the developers (!), it _must_ just be me, then. ;-)

> do i need to change it to not 'lose' any capability?

it depends on the channels you were using.  it doesn't change anything
for the official SA channel.  YMMV for third-party channels.  imo,
don't worry about it right now.
<snip>
Hope this clarifies some more. :)

yes, it does clarify the "what?", nicely. thanks!

now, the "for which?"  is there a wiki page, or some commentay here on
list (yet?), from others/all as to which/what to 'trust' -- or more
importantly, *not* trust?

given that SA's scoring is all about building trust, and, at least at
the beginning, accepting the "community's" recommendations for default
scoring/trust, i'm curious, then, as to recommendations _here_.

e.g., _i_ currently run cron jobs that regularly exec,

    sa-update --channelfile .../DIST-channels.conf
    sa-update --channelfile .../SARE-channels.conf

where,

    cat .../DIST-channels.conf
        updates.spamassassin.org

and

    cat .../SARE-channels.conf
        70_sare_obfu.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
        72_sare_redirect_post3.0.0.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
        70_sare_evilnum0.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
        70_sare_evilnum1.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
        70_sare_bayes_poison_nxm.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
        70_sare_header.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
        70_sare_header_eng.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
        99_sare_fraud_post25x.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
        70_sare_spoof.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
        70_sare_random.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
        70_sc_top200.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
        70_sare_oem.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
        70_sare_unsub.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
        70_sare_uri.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
        70_sare_specific.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
        70_sare_oem.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
        70_sare_html.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
        70_sare_genlsubj.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
        70_sare_adult.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
        72_sare_bml_post25x.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
        70_sare_stocks.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
        99_FVGT_Tripwire.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
        bogus-virus-warnings.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net

since i certainly trust the project, and DOS' contributions, should i
simply mod my cron jobs to,

    sa-update --allowplugins --channelfile .../DIST-channels.conf
    sa-update --allowplugins --channelfile .../SARE-channels.conf

my understanding of Theo's comments is no you shouldn't do that. My understanding of what he said was that none of the standard or SARE channels update plugins this way.

From a security point of view you should not enable this by default, by doing that you would be leaving a wide open security hole, which could get compromised in the future.

This switch is there for the rare occasion where you decide to allow a channel to update a plugin automatically. This is something you would do only after reviewing that channel.

--
Anthony Peacock
"If you have an apple and I have  an apple and we  exchange apples