Feb 21 22:26:10 Luke spamd[5590]: spamd: setuid to elizabeth succeeded
Feb 21 22:26:10 Luke spamd[5590]: bayes: cannot open bayes databases
/var/.spamassassin/bayes_* R/O: tie failed: Permission denied

1) are you using bayes_path ?
2) have you set bayes_file_mode 0777 in your local.cf?

YES YES

If you use bayes_path in a multi-user environment, you *MUST* set
bayes_file_mode 0777 in local.cf.

Also, make sure that /var/.spamassassin has world rwx privileges.

Thanks Matt, but it's critical to note that it only happens SOMETIMES. For example, the headers on your message to me included the expected line:

autolearn=ham version=3.1.7

My spam is being detected and the headers have the appropriate Bayes lines, BUT when watching the mail log, I saw an occasional "tie failed" message. I don't see how it could be a permissions issue if it's "intermittent"? THANKS - John