Strange indeed - not for me - I'm using The Regex Coach from
http://weitz.de/regex-coach/ which so far always does a perfect job of
testing regex. Maybe it's wrong on this case - who knows! :)

BTW I'm not sure it's necessary to escape the space character within the
[square brackets] - I think it's acceptable to just have
[ ] without the \ inside. Although it doesn't do any harm having it in there
either...

Cheers,
Jeremy