On Mon, 12 Mar 2007, maillist wrote:

Michał Jęczalik wrote:
    Hello,

after upgrading from 3.1.7 I have numerous problems with my spamd. It hangs up during high load and become permamently unresponsive. According to advices I have found on devel list, I'm using --round-robin now and it hangs less often. But now I have a lot of ~/.spamassassin/bayes_toks.expire[pid] lockfiles, that don't disappear and quickly foul user's quota. It's interesting that on another host with similar load conditions everything works ok. Anyway - am I the only one experiencing these problems? There's no rumour on the devel list, there's no rumour here - what's wrong? :) In this situation 3.1.8 is quite unusable for me and I'm thinking about downgrade. The only reason I have not done it already is that I'm not sure if this is a simple task - my users won't stand another spamassassin blackout, after numerous spam floods due to those hang-ups in past couple of days. ;-)
How did you upgrade?

perl Makefile.PL etc ;-)

What OS?

Linux 2.4

What MDA?

It is completly unrelated to MDA. I invoke spamd with inetd and spamc with procmail, but the problem is in spamd itself. Probably one could repeat it with feeding messages manually to spamc. As far as I read the devel list, guys out there are aware of this problem, but they seem to be satisfied with the temporary (?) solution of --round-robin so far. But it doesn't fix the problem, it just seems to decrease intensivity.

Oh, I've just noticed it died again. Well, killall spamd... ;-)

When you say "hangs" what do you mean?

This is what I mean:

 5707 ?        Ss     0:02 /usr/bin/perl -T -w /usr/bin/spamd --max-children=14
--round-robin
 5805 ?        R     58:05 spamd child
 5826 ?        S      3:10 spamd child
 5851 ?        R     31:03 spamd child
 5862 ?        R     26:19 spamd child
 5873 ?        R     26:11 spamd child
 5882 ?        R     26:09 spamd child
15341 ?        R     18:15 spamd child
17651 ?        R     16:09 spamd child
22972 ?        R     16:16 spamd child
 9744 ?        R     10:47 spamd child
14581 ?        S      1:37 spamd child
18379 ?        R     10:18 spamd child
21493 ?        R      7:21 spamd child
24789 ?        R      6:43 spamd child

And a nice bunch of spamc - some probably hung up waiting for output from spamd, and some continously trying to connect and feed incoming mails (and giving up after some retries, passing the message spam-uncredited).

A last sane response of every spamd's child is "processing message ...".
--
Michał Jęczalik, +48.603.64.62.97
INFONAUTIC, +48.33.487.69.04