Hi,

I had the same problem where an update from spamass-milter seemd to cause spamassassin milter stop working and give the same error messages in /var/log/maillog:

Milter (spamassassin): local socket name /var/run/spamass-milter/spamass.sock unsafe
Milter (spamassassin): to error state

I had the same setup as Joey Davis below. Here's what I did.

I changed the line in sendmail.mc where I specify the milter sock location from /var/run/spamass.sock to /var/run/spamass-milter/spamass-milter.sock (Backup the old one first). I ran 'make' and restarted the milter, spamassassin and sendmail.

Now, the .sock gets created and sendmail can talk to it and communicate with the milter. I do get another message now in /maillog but the spamassin-milter seems to be working fine. This seemed to fix the problem. I am not guaranteeing that is the best solution

The problem seemed to arise from the fact that the update changed the milter to run as user sa-milt as opposed to root and so changed the location of the .sock file from root writable /var/run to sa-milt writable /var/run/spamass-milter. It also changed the name of the sock from spamass.sock to spamass-milter.sock

Regards,
Arjun

maillist wrote:
Joey Davis wrote:
Greetings ...
I can not get spamassassin to work. I have seen this problem in some newgroups but no definitive solution. Here is the information OS Version: FC5
Sendmail: 8.13.7
Spamassassin: 3.1.3
Log entries: Mar 19 17:28:32 obwat sendmail[29903]: l2JMSW21029903: Milter (spamassassin): local socket name /var/run/spamass-milter/spamass.sock unsafe Mar 19 17:28:32 obwat sendmail[29903]: l2JMSW21029903: Milter (spamassassin): to error state Mar 19 17:28:32 obwat sendmail[29903]: l2JMSW21029903: Milter: initialization failed, temp failing commands
Thanks for any help,
Joey

I'm not sure, and please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that the spamass milter works. I've never seen/heard about it working, but have heard many people expressing difficulties with it. Luckily a friend of mine suggested to me to use mimedefang (http://www.mimedefang.org/). It works wonderfully with sendmail, and acts as a medium for spamassassin, a few antivirus scanners, and other things that you may wish. You need only tell sendmail where the .sock is for mimedefang, and mimedefang handles the rest.

Good luck
-=Aubrey=-