On 22-mrt-2007, at 20:02, Theo Van Dinter wrote:

On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 09:55:07AM -0700, Marc Perkel wrote:
Where bayes used to be the centerpiece of spam filtering ...

FWIW, I don't think Bayes has really ever been the "centerpiece" of
spam filtering.  Definitely not within SA anyway.  It's a good tool,
but it's just another tool in the belt.

/me continues to wait for the spammers to tire of greylisting

Yes, exactly! Greylisting is still working amazingly well here.
Also, most spams that get past the greylisting border are still
hitting BAYES_90 or higher, even on instances where the
bayes system is only being trained by autolearning.

I do feel that greylisting is slowly becoming less effective though.
The amount of spams that get through may have risen by as much
as 50%, although this is extremely relative, because this means
that in my case six spams make it through each day, instead of
four, whereas I used to get >80 spams per day without greylisting.
I noticed that almost all of the spams that get through are GIF image
stock spam. Apparently, I should "GET IN ON THE YOUTUBE OF
CHINA NOW!", because that is all I'm reading about these days ;-)

Leander