Mark Martinec writes:
> > > I wonder why score for RCVD_IN_WHOIS_BOGONS is 0 in 3.2.0-rc1 ?
> > > (unlike RCVD_IN_WHOIS_INVALID and RCVD_IN_WHOIS_HIJACKED...
> >
> > almost non-existent hits. rules/STATISTICS-set3.txt :
> >   0.000   0.0007   0.0000    1.000   0.51    0.00  RCVD_IN_WHOIS_BOGONS
> > that's like 6 out of nearly a million spams.
>
> It seems like a waste to actually send out a query against a
> combined-HIB.dnsiplists.completewhois.com, but then ignore
> its result (apparently the score did help with the OP spam).
>
> The HIJACKED, BOGONS, and INVALID share the same RBL and
> only one query is send out if any of these three rules is
> nonzero. Setting RCVD_IN_WHOIS_BOGONS to 0 saves no resources.

well, it saves a little -- even running the rule has a tiny overhead.  But
not much, granted.  The more serious issue is that the GA/perceptron
cannot give a rule a reasonable score unless a useful number of hits are
listed in the mass-check run, to base the score estimation on.  In
the case of RCVD_IN_WHOIS_BOGONS, there's just not enough data to
guess what it's score should be.

--j.