Marc Perkel wrote:
I am not necessarily speaking of the context of a MTA.

Example pulled out of thin air: if you had a corpus and you wanted to check the addresses within it, what would be a "polite" way to do so? Just open an SMTP connection and see what the far end says to "RCPT TO:", but put a tight rate limit on it?

Yes - that would work. Don't kit any one server faster than once a second.
And make a new connection per check. My server will start replying invalid address to everything once 5 invalid attempts with the same connection are made.

Just FYI.

Regards,

Rick