Matthias Haegele wrote:
> Bowie Bailey schrieb:
> > Grant Peel wrote:
> > > I have not turned on bayes, is it critical (to catching spam)?
> >
> > Bayes is not critical, but it can be very useful.  For best
> > results, I suggest you do this:
>
> ACK. It can kick the spam over the treshold which is maybe not hit by
> other rules, a well trained Bayes is essential i think. (And it
> produces no false-positives if bayes was: BAYES_100 it was always
> right).

Very useful, yes.  Critical, no.

> > Manually train the Bayes db with hand-sorted ham and spam at least
> > until you get to the 200-ham/200-spam limit.  After that, keep an
> > eye on your incoming mail and retrain any messages that are
> > mis-classified.
> >
> > Manual training works like this:
> >
> >     sa-learn --ham /directory/with/nonspam
> >     sa-learn --spam /directory/with/spam
>
> You should run sa-learn with the proper user account e.g.:
>
> >  sudo -u amavis -H sa-learn --spam /path/to/spam-messages/

Thanks, I forgot to mention this piece of (critical) information.
Training the wrong database is, unfortunately, a common problem.

> > By default Bayes will also auto-learn incoming messages as either
> > ham or spam based on certain criteria.  Some people suggest
> > adjusting the criteria to further prevent mis-training, but I have
> > not had any problems with the default settings.  However, on some
> > of my accounts, I will disable the autolearning and manually sort
> > and learn on all of my incoming mail each day.
>
> Autolearning is not failure proof i think,
> especially on less restrictive Mailinglists ...

It's not failure proof, but most of my accounts rely on autotraining
with the default settings.  I have had one instance where I had to
recreate a corrupted database, but this was on an account that had no
manual training done at all.

--
Bowie