On Thursday, Apr 26th 2007 at 01:45 -0400, quoth Matt Kettler:

=>ram wrote:
=>> Are the spammers testing some new spamtool
=>> I am getting mails with just a single word like "gushes" "using"  etc
=>>
=>> what is this about  now ?
=>>
=>Read the archives for more details, however the general consensus is
=>it's due to:
=>
=>1) a mass run of short-emails to a broader-range of randomly generated
=>addresses in an attempt to
=>disover new ones. (aka Rumpelstiltskin attack)
=>
=>- OR -
=>
=>2) some spammer screwed up their template when they last pushed one out
=>to their botnet, and as a result the bots are generating emails with no
=>useful payload.
=>
=>Both are quite plausible.

Ok. I have questions:

1. Should I run these through sa-learn --spam or are these not to be
considered as spam?

2. And also, maybe OT, should these messages be reported to SpamCop?
We all know they're spam, but to be fair, they're not trying to *sell* us
anything, thus providing a basis for not calling them spam.

steveo at syslang.net