sa-list wrote:
> The current SA install was from my initial install of RHEL 4 and using
> up2date to get the packages all current. I figured I would stop using
> up2date from this point on and switch to CPAN upgrades in the future.

Be sure to *uninstall* the RPM package before installing from CPAN -
keeping the RPM install while you add a CPAN install of SA is known to
cause strange behaviour.

> The base RHEL4 with the latest service release only
> installed SA 3.04. RH then jumped from 3.04 to 3.18 about 6 weeks ago
> using the up2date system.

This is largely normal;  much like Debian's policy, packages are not
just rolled out to the stable release tree whenever a new upstream
version is released.  RedHat has often been more lax in this repsect
than Debian;  it's truly rare to see more than a minor upstream version
bump in a Debian package through the course of the stable release cycle.

I use a third-party repository (Dag/RPMForge,
http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/) for things like SpamAssassin that change
more quickly that the OS release cycle.  It's also useful for extra Perl
modules that aren't provided by the upstream OS release.  I prefer to
only install software one way if at all possible;  it keeps the system a
little more organized.

-kgd