>> Bayes auto expiries (taking to long and getting killed)?  I think
>> that's a 600 second timeout.

We're not using auto-expiry.  Bayes expiry is being done with a batch
job.

> It would be interesting on some system experiencing this slowdown to
put
> 'use bytes' back into SA and see what happens with the performance.
This
> wouldn't be any sort of a solution, but it would be an interesting
data
> point.

We have Perl v5.8.8, which doesn't have the UTF8 bug.  Would it still be
worth trying this experiment?  If so, where do I put "use bytes"?

> And, God Blues you Theo!  sa-compile (we have it working on FREEBSD
for
> the non-sares rules) brings that performance back to 3.18 levels with
> all the new rules.

sa-compile took 3 hours to run.  (System is a SunFire v210 with 2
processors and 2 GB ram.)