On Tue, 22 May 2007, Jari Fredriksson wrote:

Even more strange things... sa-learn -u root dump magic returns data for  root,
while I have not used root ever (at least not in purpose).

spamd runs as root unless you specify a username for it to run as. By default, if no username was used, spamd will setuid() to the username that ran spamc.

I run with the parameters --username=spamd --group=spamd. It is a user and group that is created upon installing SA on FreeBSD (probably all others as well).

sa-learn -u root -clear cleared this, and

NOW spamc -u spam does NOT trigger BAYES_99 any more! It does not trigger any
BAYES tests, so it looks it maybe uses root's account!

sa-learn -u spam dump magic show lots of tokens, ham and spam registered, but
spamc -u spam does not seem to see it.

As I know, unless the account actually exists on the server running SA, the tokens are learned under the account spamd was ran as. That will either be 'root' or the username that spamd setuid() to from spamc (pending if the account exists on the server).

spamassassin run as spam triggers BAYES_XX as it should.