Please note that of course, I can only speak for myself and the system I am responsible for. I really don't know if netzero.com uses a similar system or not. I have no idea what basis their blocking has, nor do I know whether it's in any way sensible or not.

Granted, but  it seems to me that it is very much easier to detect these
violations at the destination that at the source. The implication is that we
must keep count of every failed recipient for every sender on our domain

If mail from your network is sent through your SMTP server that info should be in your logs.

If not, you might have to ask the admins of the system that blocked you for info about it.

If you had been blocked here and asked us for the reason, I would check the database to see what kind of behaviour resulted in the block, and wether the block was still in place. Our temporary blocks based on these kind of things has a time window of a few minutes, so once you asked us the block would most probably be gone allready. And they don't tend to actually stop mail sent from retrying mail servers to legitimate users.

/Jonas
--
Jonas Eckerman, FSDB & Fruktträdet
http://whatever.frukt.org/