Well, we don't have an external firewall, so that couldn't be it. Could it
possibly be something further upstream, or maybe even just a timeout value
that needs to be extended?

-----Original Message-----
From: Larry Starr [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, June 29, 2007 10:59 AM
To: users@spamassassin.apache.org
Subject: Re: FW: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender

On Friday 29 June 2007 12:41, Don O'Neil wrote:
> I've been getting these messages fairly regularly lately. We're
> running SA
> 3.1.8 and Exim 4.6.6 on FreeBSD 6.1. I've changed the exim->SA config
> to go through a pipe rather than the traditional way, set it to only
> scan messages <100K, turned off Bayes AutoLearn because it was
> creating token files in the multiple hundred megabyte range and it still
is popping up.
> I've held off on upgrading to SA 3.2.1 because of the performance
> issues I've read about, I'm concerned that the problem will get worse
> if I upgrade.
>
> Anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?
>
> Here is the message:

>   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>     local delivery failed
>
> The following text was generated during the delivery attempt:
>
> ------ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ------
>
> An error was detected while processing a file of BSMTP input.
> The error message was:
>
>   421 Lost incoming connection
>
> The SMTP transaction started in line 0.
> The error was detected in line 3.
> The rest of the batch was abandoned.
> 421 Lost incoming connection
> Transaction started in line 0
> Error detected in line 3

Are you certain that the problem is within your mail server?

I ask because I've had a similar situation, a few times and finally tracked
it
to our Sonic Wall firewall (which also does virus scanning).   It,
apparently, scans streams on the fly so, if a Virus is detected in an
attachment, the SMTP connection is, basically, broken without warning.

Just a thought?
--
Larry G. Starr - [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED] Software
Engineer: Full Compass Systems LTD.