Skip Brott wrote:
I ran with the --nogpg option and was able to get all the files to download. Yay! But do I really want to run it that way? And on that note, how does SA know where to find the .cf files in /var/lib/spamassassin? Does it see subfolders and load the .cf files from there? Or do those downloaded updates automatically replace my .cf files in /etc/mail/spamassassin, where I have always kept my rules? - Skip

What instructions were you following? It doesn't appear that you followed them completely. You need a --gpgkey config switch in there.

/etc/mail/spamassassin always overrules anything else located anywhere else. SA knows perfectly well how to load the files from /var/lib/spamassassin. So long as sa-update runs, you have nothing to worry about. If you have any duplicates in /var/lib/spamassassin and /etc/mail/spamassassin, the ones in /etc/mail will override those in /var. So get rid of the duplicate rules in /etc, as those under /var are the ones being updated.