From: Loren Wilton [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2007 8:28 AM
To: users@spamassassin.apache.org
Subject: Re: MS outlook can't read parsed email... HELP!!

>> output file. Then i followed instructions and installed Exchange SMTP
>> Transport Event Sink provided by christopher
>> lewis(http://www.christopherlewis.com/ESA/ExchangeSpamAssassin.htm).
OE
>> is
>> stilll able to read the output from the sample-spam.txt when i tested
it

Ok.  Here's a theory.  The last modification Christopher shows is Feb
2006,
well over a year ago.  Since then SA has been modified to always output
the
same CRLF convention on output that it got on input.  Previously I
believe
that it amost always only output an LF between most lines.  I'm guessing

that that sink is expecting Unix LF delimiters on input from the SA
output
temp file, and is converting the LF to a CRLF.  Since there is already a

CRLF, this is resulting in either a CRCRLF or two CRLF pairs separating
each
line.

I looked at the source code, but it is rather cryptic VB.  Unless you
have
the docs on the functions he is calling, there is no way to guess what
half
the parameters really mean.  There is probably a nice simple one-line
fix
somewhere in the source for this problem.  Unfortunately it isn't real
obvious where to put it or what it would be.

Since he seems to be calling a bat file to run SA and redirecting stdin
and
stdout, it would probably be possible to write a little 5-line C program

that would strip CRs out of the SA result on the way to the temp file he
is
creating, and then things might work.  I suspect there are probably
stripcr
stream utilities sitting around on the web that will do this without
having
to write one.

Short of managing to get in touch with the author of the sink and
getting
him to fix it, or trying the stripcr trick in an appropriate bat file
(more
easily modified than the VBS stuff), I think you might be best off
trying to
find some other way to integrate SA with Exchange.  I know one common
trick
is to put a Linux box in front of the Exchange server and route the
incoming
mail through SA  on the linux box, then feed it into Exchange.  Of
course,
this won't move things to separate folders for you, but it would get it
properly tagged.

        Loren