On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 05:14:30AM +0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> How does sa-update know if to update or not without going over the
> network?

Tachyon particles.  Ok, seriously, it couldn't.

> channel: metadata version = 556472
> dns: 3.2.3.updates.spamassassin.org => 556472, parsed as 556472
> channel: current version is 556472, new version is 556472, skipping channel
> diag: updates complete, exiting with code 1

Ok, you're running 556472 and the latest version is 556472, so no update
available.

> # host updates.spamassassin.org
> updates.spamassassin.org A record currently not present

Right, there is no A record.

> # tcpflow -i ppp0 & sa-update
> shows no traffic.

Looking for version numbers happens via UDP, it's a DNS lookup, I'm guessing
tcpflow doesn't look at UDP?  (this is the first time I've heard of tcpflow)

> I see, maybe it detected that the last time I ran sa-update was less
> than 24 hours ago and so didn't even try?

Nope, you can run it as often as you want.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
"Theo: Your message content is oftentimes upstaged by your randomly