I'll give this a shot. thanks

Matt Kettler wrote:
Mike Fahey wrote:

This page specifically uses /etc/mail/spamassassin.

Yeah, I read that the first time. It is wrong. In fact, I'd say it's stupid.

I'll go edit the wiki article when I get a chance, but I want to have some time to really sit down and do an extensive rewrite there. There's a lot of facts that should be there, which aren't.

If nothing else, there needs to be NO OTHER FILES starting with "bayes" in your /etc/mail/spamassassin for that to work! If you've got a bayes_rescore.cf in there, you're going to break.

Also, /etc/ isn't intended to store data that changes constantly. It is completely contrary to the Unix philosophy to store a database here.

Therefore, using all possible strength, and all possible expertise that my position as a member of the SpamAssassin Project Management Committee conveys, I strongly advise not following the advice of that wiki article. At least as far as using "bayes_path /etc/mail/spamassassin/bayes".

I believe its hardware related, as other machines work fine.

It could be rights related.. what are the permissions on /etc/mail/spamassassin/? Is it world rwx (dangerous!)?

It could also be related to a file starting with bayes in there that's not a part of the bayes DB..

ls /etc/mail/spamassassin/bayes*

Is there anything but bayes_seen, bayes_toks and bayes_journal?

Does anyone else have any tweaks for global bayes ?

Yeah, put it in its own directory, and not in /etc/.