Sandy S wrote:
OK, I admit I haven't been following this thread closely so I may have missed something and maybe my suggestion won't fit your needs. However, we're accomplishing something like what you describe above using Mimedefang. The Mimedefang milter includes a function called md_check_against_smtp_server which checks the recipient address against the virtusertable defined on whatever MX server you give it. If it's not a valid user voila! message is rejected during the Mimedefang processing - aka as soon as the connecting server has provided the recipient address, before the whole message has been transmitted. Otherwise processing and mail delivery continues as normal.

You beat me to it!

I'll just add that people have discussed alternate solutions on the MD archives that, instead of using md_check_against_smtp_server, involve exporting the list tot he remote MX so that it can still query that information if/when the primary is unavailable.

Looking through the MIMEDefang mailing list archives is left as an exercise for the reader.

--
Kelson Vibber