>> On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 03:42:05PM -0500, Dan Barker wrote:
>>
>> This issue, apparently, has been a problem for me for several
Spamassassin releases, but
>> I just now figured out what may be happening. I've been closing spamd
once per hour,
>> just to make it read new local.cf, notice sa-update changes, etc., but
occasionally
>> my system can't start new tasks (usually error 0xC0000142, very
occasionally
>> 0xC0000005 - This is under Windoze, W2K Server/SP4). Closing/Opening
spamd
>> also forces closed all the file handles spamd appears to be abandoning
un-closed.

>> I'm currently running SpamAssassin 3.2.5 under Activestate perl
5.8.8.822.

>> It appears that spamd fails to close the file handle to bayes_seen or
>> auto-whitelist when it's done with it.
>>
>> spamd -x -D, filtered on "auto-whitelist" shows:
>>
>> --- 9 line(2) not displayed ---
>> [1504] dbg: auto-whitelist: DB addr list: untie-ing and unlocking [1504]
dbg: auto-whitelist: DB addr list: file locked, breaking lock [1504] dbg:
locker: safe_unlock: unlink C:\Documents and
Settings\dbarker/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock
>> --- 370 line(2) not displayed ---
>> [1504] dbg: auto-whitelist: DB addr list: untie-ing and unlocking [1504]
dbg: auto-whitelist: DB addr list: file locked, breaking lock [1504] dbg:
locker: safe_unlock: unlink C:\Documents and
Settings\dbarker/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock
>> --- 37 line(2) not displayed ---
>>
>> Process Explorer (from SysInternals-Great tool!) shows the file handle to
>> C:\Documents and Settings\dbarker\.spamassassin\auto-whitelist remains
>> open even after spamd is finished and remains so until spamd is closed.
>> This occurs both for auto-whitelist and bayes_seen files.
>>
>> How do I go about trapping this error in locker? (Specifically, how do
>> I figure out who Called locker, to find the code that's not closing the
>> file it opened?)
>>
>> Has anyone else run into this sort of issue?

> On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 15:51 -0500 Theo Van Dinter wrote:
>
> The last time this sort of issue came up, it was traced back to a bug in
DB_File.
> Specifically, the untie call would actually not let go of the DB.
> SA doesn't actually open the database files itself, it lets tie/untie
> (DB_File) deal with it.

I've been unsuccessful in figuring out how even to trap this problem.

My spamd's run about 200 messages before I cycle them to reclaim the
resources. In that time, there are about 40 handles to the file
"c:\Imail\Visioncomm.net\bayes_seen" not closed. There are occasional
un-closed handles to auto-whitelist (I can cause this error at will - I
can't seem to make bayes_seen remain open in a test setting - hopefully it's
the same issue).

Does anyone have any ideas about how I might (or even if I should) proceed
on getting this bug resolved?

Dan Barker