Benny Pedersen wrote:
> On Sat, March 14, 2009 00:45, Matt Kettler wrote:
>
>> Dennis German wrote:
>>
>>> Attempting to see how spamassassin would score a message
>>> I tried
>>>      spamassassin < lottery.msg
>>>
>>>     [32179] warn: config: could not find site rules directory
>>>     check: no loaded plugin implements 'check_main': cannot scan!
>>> at
>>>     /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/Mail/SpamAssassin/PerMsgStatus.pm
>>> line 164.
>>>
>>> message can be found at
>>>
>>>     http://real-world-systems.com/mail/lottery.msg
>>>
>> Does your spamassassin work properly when you run spamassassin
>> --lint?
>>
>> Just from the look of the error you got, it sounds like your install
>> is
>> borked and /etc/mail/spamassassin is missing.
>>

> install 3.2.5
> remove all plugins in pre files
> spamassassin --lint

That will break spamassassin.
> will get the above errors, check plugin is missing, is this problem
> only when --lint is used ?
>
> for normal use there should not be a need to have any plugin loaded
>
> no ?

That is not correct. Many core functionalities of SA are implemented as
plugins. This allows those core functionalities to be replaced easily
with different versions from a different plugin. You can really change
more or less anything about how SA operates this way on a plugin basis.

For example:
     The entire bayes system is a plugin.
    *All* rule evaluation is done by plugins. ie: the "body" keyword is
a plugin.
    The basic "check" functionality that processes a message is a plugin
(hence above message)

These loadplugins are pretty much bare-minimum if you want SA to behave
like itself:

loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Check

loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::BodyEval
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::DNSEval
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::HTMLEval
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::HeaderEval
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::MIMEEval
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::RelayEval
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIEval
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::WLBLEval

If any of the above aren't loaded, you should be loading some custom
plugins to replace them, or expect to have to modify the default ruleset
as some of the basic rule types are missing.

Also I would consider the following plugins "Strongly recommended", as
some important rules in the default set go away without these:

loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Bayes
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::MIMEHeader
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::ReplaceTags
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::ImageInfo