Jonas A. Larsen wrote:
In case anybody else comes across the same, I've kicked out the MySQL
cluster and now using MySQL with multi-master replication. There we can
use InnoDB and this definitely solved all of the problems I had with
bayes. Scantimes are now below 1 second. I don't have much load as of
yet, so I expect this to increase somewhat during business hours, but
all in all things look a lot more promising. I've used this howto:
http://capttofu.livejournal.com/1752.html

Hi Jorn

I'm running the same kind of multimaster mysql replication scheme (my sql
ndoes are in different datacenters so a cluster was not a good option for
us)

However I've seen several reports of people having problem with bayes and
replication, since with multimaster replication you have to manually be sure
there is no overlap in row id's etc.

I cant remember 100% if it was an old issue or if it still should be an
issue, I just thought I'd send you this warning, that replication might
break if you habve a bayes DB on the dbms and the 2 masters write the same
id/token whatever to the DB.

So you might want to test thoroughly before you deploy in production, or at
least if it breaks later you might remember this mail :)
Hi Johas,

Thanks a lot for your heads-up here.

Actually I was realising this myself as well, especially since Bayes doesn't seem to be using MySQL's AUTO_INCREMENT property for its ids. I've seen a few articles where the different masters used different offsets for their AUTO_INCREMENT columns. Frankly this wasn't going to work for the bayes_token table at the very least. And even if it did work, you'd end up with different IDs, same token and different count values (purely theoretical if my logic isn't failing).

For the sake of the KISS concept I decided to scrap the multi-master replication and made it a master-slave setup only, where all 3 boxes point to one master. Then the slave is present as a backup server only. I was expecting to need 2 masters because of performance reasons, but the single master works like a charm in production. I'm sticking to that for now and works surprisingly well with InnoDB and the my-4GB-huge-InnoDB.cnf (or whatever it's called).

Cheers,
Jorn

Med venlig hilsen / Best regards
Jonas Akrouh Larsen TechBiz ApS