Benny Pedersen wrote:

I believe Raymond's response was addressing the fact a server connection could possibly be interrupted before it had a chance to issue the SMTP QUIT command. I would think being listed for that alone would be ridiculous.

if its this i would agree, cant exim see diff in not sending quit or drop connection ?

It can. This is exactly what makes the "noquit" list possible.

Exim has two relevant ACLs. One that is run when the connection is closed after a QUIT, and one that is run when the connection is closed without a QUIT. So one of those two is run at the end of every connection, depending on how it ended.

As I understand it, Marc has added some configuration to his system so that when the "Closed without QUIT" ACL is run, he adds the IP address to a queryable list.

It is described here:

http://wiki.junkemailfilter.com/index.php/Spam_DNS_Lists#Tracking_use_of_QUIT

It is described as "Experimental"

His list gives three responses:

    * 127.0.1.1 - QUIT is used
    * 127.0.1.2 - No QUIT is used
    * 127.0.1.3 - Mixed - Quit is used sometimes

If you don't want the "Closed without QUIT" part of the list, there's nothing stopping you from using every other feature of his lists without using this particulary part. You wouldn't use a DNSBL without knowing how it works first would you?

When I say, "you," I'm refering to the people using the JMF lists, not specifically you Benny.

--
Mike Cardwell - IT Consultant and LAMP developer
Cardwell IT Ltd. (UK Reg'd Company #06920226) http://cardwellit.com/