Ted Mittelstaedt <t...@ipinc.net> writes:

> Actually it's not even that.  The notion that Debian spent effort
> detecting and removing DCC source is rather farfetched.

Sorry, but you are pretty off here. Debian does this all the time. I'm
an official Debian Developer and I have personally been involved in
doing this a few times.

> Because Linux distros are so large, many freely available
> commercially-licensed apps - such as device drivers - some of which
> also do not carry "your allowed to distribute this" licenses, get
> "sucked up" into the distributions.

Unless you can find an example, you are making a specious argument. Do
you know the process to get software into Debian?

> Some of this happens by users contributing them and not reading the
> licensing closely enough, but quite a lot of it happens by commercial
> companies deliberately inserting their stuff in the distros.

First, 'users' do not contribute applications to Debian, that isn't how
it works. Secondly, even if an official Debian Developer (who actually
is the only person permitted to contribute things to the Debian archive)
happens to do as you assert and not read the licensing, then the Debian
FTP-masters, whose role it is to specifically determine if the Debian
Developer did their due diligence in checking the license restrictions,
would reject that package.

I guess the fact that I had to explain this answers my previous
question, you do not understand how software gets into Debian. I would
advise you to educate yourself before making arguments that by their
very nature demonstrate your misunderstanding, it weakens your argument.

[snip]

> It's also generally understood that if a commercial app seller
> doesen't like it they have the right to complain and get an immediate
> cessation of inclusion of their apps in a distro.  That is why I
> suspect happened
> here.

Sorry, but if a DFSG-licensed application is put in Debian, no
commercial app seller has any right to "complain and get an immediate
cessation of inclusion of their apps in a distro". It doesn't work that
way.

> Distributed Checksum Clearinghouse quite obviously feels that they have
> captured enough fishes in the ocean and are making plenty of money now
> and so do not require all of the free advertising that inclusion of
> their source in Debian gives them.  Quite obviously they complained
> and
> their stuff was withdrawn as a result.

Your conclusions are amazing, but that does not make them any more
right.

micah