On Sun, 2013-06-23 at 06:52 +1000, Robert S wrote:
> The OpenDNS website states "OpenDNS is the largest and most reliable
> _recursive_ DNS service available ...".  Presumably this explains why
> my queries are not blocked when I use OpenDNS.

Again, nope. The OpenDNS server will do the query -- thus, if used by
too many clients, it will exceed the limit of "abuse" just like your
ISP's caching (and recursive) DNS does.

Please read my previous explanation (quoted below) about the order of
nameservers again.

> Various discussions on the net state that typo correction causes
> problems on OpenDNS with SURBL/URIBL.  However the spamassassin wiki
> at http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/OpenDnsAndUribls states that
> OpenDNS do not use typo correction by default.

"Typo correction" does introduce a whole lot of issues -- for the
clients. DNS servers getting blocked by a DNSxL is none of them, though.

> If these things are true then the last question is - is it safe to use
> OpenDNS IP addresses in my resolv.conf (and hence the remainder of my
> small network) or should I stick to the addresses provided by my ISP?

I'd argue the evidence provided in this thread suggests to stick to the
first nameserver currently listed in your resolv.conf -- your own.