On Thu, 20 Feb 2014, Daniel Staal wrote:

--As of February 20, 2014 9:23:56 AM -0800, John Hardin is alleged to have said:

 BAYES_99 is being reverted to its original definition and BAYES_999 is
 being converted to an overlapping additive rule that adds some more
 points to BAYES_99 for the very top end of Bayes score.

 If you have locally set a high score for BAYES_999 you may want to reduce
 or remove that override. (Then again, BAYES_99 + BAYES_999 scoring 10+
 isn't really *that* much of a problem unless your Bayes database is off
 the rails... :) )

 This should go out within the next couple of rule updates.

--As for the rest, it is mine.

Just as a note: This discussion went quite a bit further than this mailing list, since the rule leak affected anyone using a recent version of Spamassassin. I know for certain it reached NANOG, for example. Given that there are likely people who've rescored the BAYES_999 rule and will not see this decision, would it be possible to release it as a *different* rule? (And retire BAYES_999 entirely.) Name it BAYES_99_9 or something, so that previous quick-fixes don't affect people negatively? A surprise change to over-score messages quickly following a surprise change to under-score messages just hits me wrong. I'd be nice if we could avoid causing more problems.

Daniel T. Staal

Wow. Ok.

Kevin: how about the BAYES_100 suggestion?

  It is not the place of government to make right every tragedy and
  woe that befalls every resident of the nation.
 2 days until George Washington's 282nd Birthday