On Wed, 2014-08-13 at 11:20 -0700, Noah wrote:
> This is a new machine with rules copied over from another machine.  How
> about this?  I just start new.  Is there a good page out that explains
> setting up spamassassin from scratch and getting the sa rules set up
> well and cleaned up nicely?  I am happy to start from the beginning with
> best practices.

If you cannot answer our rather specific questions, you're in for a much
steeper learning curve than you seem to expect...

What the best way of setting up SA on a new machine is? Just install the
distro provided SA packages.

Getting the SA rules set up well? Same. Cleaned up? Do not copy over
configuration and rules from $ome other system, unless you know what you
are copying. IOW, don't. That's clean by definition.

What I really don't get from your reply is this, though:

A new machine, with "rules copied over". Yet, you seem to be unable to
answer our questions regarding custom rules and configuration you put
there. Which equals everything you "copied over" to begin with. If you
did, why can't you answer our question?

Or revert that "copying over", which results in the "cleaned up" state
you asked for.

Regardless of continuing with the current system, or setting up the
whole system from scratch again -- there are important questions raised,
you just didn't answer. Which, frankly, are likely to have a *much* more
severe impact than removing bad, copied rules.

What mail is that system handling, if it is not an MX? How large are
those messages, and what's your size limit? How is SA integrated, what
software is passing mail to SA?

What is the actual process's name, and for how long does it run at CPU
max?

Without answering these (basically, get back to my previous post and
actually answer all my very specific questions), there is absolutely no
point in you posing more or other questions. It won't help.

Reference: