On Fri, 2014-12-05 at 09:47 -0600, Mike Grau wrote:
> On 12/05/2014 09:38 AM, Noel Butler wrote:
> > pffft
> >
> > I see no problem, as like most developers if you cant reproduce it, then
> > its nothing to bother about, after all this time 2 ppl dont like a font
> > or whatever, your pissing up the wrong tree if you think I have a care
> > factor about changing things when i cant reproduce it. time to move
> > along ...
>
> You're reproducing it for me ... e-mails from you have a hard-to-read
> small font here also. Not from anyone else - just you.

I've noticed in the past that supposedly identical fonts are scaled
differently by some programs.

It seems that in this case Evolution doesn't show this behaviour, at
least with example text that has been sent to this list and using fonts
included in Fedora 20 (but who knows what it might do under Fedora 21 if
the fonts change?), so it would be interesting to know if there are any
other combinations of OS+MUA+font that always show it.

Similar comments apply to line wrapping. There are some newsreaders and
MUAs that give the receiving user control over line wrapping. The Pan
newsreader has a 'Wrap lines' toggle while Evolution sometimes leaves
paragraphs that it thinks are preformatted as single long lines, fixed
by highlighting them and clicking 'Formatted' followed by 'Unformatted'
on the Format dropdown menu.

So, obviously, there *are* newsreaders and MUAs that insist on sending
paragraphs as single very long lines or (1) newsreaders and MUAs would
not have linewrapping controls and (2) I would not know how to deal with
these single line paragraphs. Its also possible that the owners and
operators of the offending programs don't know that this happens because
they never see the paragraph as a single long line because the program
always wraps when it shows you, even when its displaying or printing the
message in raw format. It would be interesting to know what they see if
they look at messages with less, which doesn't wrap lines by default,
without giving their MUA a chance to reformat the message on its way to
being looked at by less.

Martin