David Jones wrote on 29/06/16 2:13 AM:
>> From: RW <rwmailli...@googlemail.com>
>> That wont work in this example because nothing has actually been
>> spoofed.
>
> Exactly.  If I search the Internet for the CEO/CIO/CTO/etc of a company
> and send and email from my domain but make the displayed name in
> the visible From: be that CEO/CIO/CTO/etc's full name

Oh, that's right. I misunderstood the situation described in the initial post
in this thread. SpamAssassin is not the right tool for a spear fishing attack
that is a perfectly innocent email that claims nothing wrong from a technical
perspective might have no spam signals and relies on the recipient being
technically naive and not looking behind the displayed From name.

As Dianne Skoll pointed out the proper defense against this type of attack is
to have proper financial processes in place. That can include technical
measures that would require the CEO to have entered the request in a secure
web form instead of by email. But even that is subject to social engineering
as ultimately somebody with authority can receive a spear phishing email
apparently from someone who can ask them to use that authority. The right
thing to do is to actually put in place the measures that people have spent
time working out over the years as "proper financial processes" to help
prevent not only social engineering hacks but internal fraud and simple
mistakes. Bottom line is that the CEO should not be able to initiate a bank
transfer with even a legitimate phone call to accounting and a promise to send
the details "later".

 Sidney